Working From Home [Infographic]
Is Work At Home For You?
Technology continues to influence how we work. Innovations such as Skype and email means that communicating with clients or business partners throughout the world has never been easier. We now live in a world where the employers and employees can choose to be “Always on”. Smart devices enable us to check our emails while on the go. In fact, some holiday destinations are now advertising a lack of Wi-Fi signal as a selling point, in order to attract those that want to switch off entirely.
Technology has also had a significant impact on where we work from, with many organisations now offering the opportunity to telecommute, or work from home. With many studies indicating increased productivity from employees, and increased savings for businesses, it is an attractive prospect for all involved. However, it is important to note that not everyone is suited to this type of work, and there are certain characteristics that employers tend to look for to establish whether it is suitable to individuals.
In this infographic, we have sought to convey some of the facts regarding working from home. The aim is to inform both employees and employers of the benefits that can be attained from remote work, but also to educate on the personality traits and skillsets necessary for the roles involved. The infographic also focuses on some of the global companies that facilitate telecommuting.
Click to open / Right-click for save options
WORKING FROM HOME Is it for you?
Recent years have seen a vast increase in the proportion of people working from home. Here, we take a look at the benefits and whether it is a suitable option for you?
- Telecommuting involves working remotely or from home, but with access to company network across the internet via a VPN.
- Studies suggest that 66% of people work from home, given the choice.
- 36% of those studied would choose it ahead of a pay-rise.
- 80% of employees consider telework a perk of the job.
- 34 million Americans work from home.
- Figure expected to reach 63 million by 2016.
- Over 4.5 million work from home in the UK as of 2014.
- 35.2% of the 4.5 million were professionals.
- 23.5% were skilled workers.
- 14.8% were managers or senior officials.
BENEFITS TO THE EMPLOYEE
Improves Job Satisfaction
- 14% of Americans have changed jobs to shorten the commute.
- 95% of employers say that telecommuting has had a high impact on employee retention.
- 46% of companies that allow telework say it has reduced attrition.
Increases Employee Empowerment and Collaboration
- Working from home enables employees to be more independent and self-directed.
- Telecommuting allows employees and contractors to collaborate with each other without worry of logistical barriers.
BENEFITS TO THE EMPLOYER
Reduces Unscheduled Absences
- Absenteeism costs over €1.5 billion a year in Ireland.
- It is estimated to cost €29 billion per year in the UK.
- Unscheduled absences in the US are estimated to cost $300 billion per annum.
- Teleworkers generally continue to work when sick.
- It is estimated that 78% of workers that call in sick generally aren't. They miss work due to stress, family issues, and personal needs.
- Flexible hours allow people to schedule appointments more easily, instead of taking a fully day off work.
- British Telecom, Dow Chemical, and Best Buy have all noted increased productivity of between 35-40%.
- It is estimated that 60% of the commuting time saved, is used performing work for the company.
- AT&T workers work five more hours at home than their office workers.
- American Express teleworkers produced 43% more than their office workers.
Saves Employers Money
- 60% of employers have identified the cost effectiveness of telecommuting.
- Dow Chemical and Nortel save over 30% on non-real estate costs.
- For Alpine Access, customer complaints decreased by 90%.
- Federal employees that worked from home during a four day snow period in Washington saved the government over $30 million.
- The Wall Street Journal reported that businesses that allowed employees to work from home at least three times a month were more likely to log revenue growth of 10 or more within 12 months.
- In 2014, Dell made savings of over $12/€10 million and cut greenhouse gas emissions significantly.
Reduces the Need to Overstaff and Offers Scalability
- Enables companies to add and reduce staff as necessary.
- It is easier to achieve global, 24/7 coverage with home-based workers.
Some Global Companies that Allow Work from Home
- SUTHERLAND GLOBAL SERVICES® Measurable Performance Delivered Globally
- KELLY SERVICES®
- First Data® beyond the transaction
- American Express
- Salesforce Foundation
Is Working From Home For You?
- Many companies require people to be assessed before deciding whether they are suitable to work from home.
- Home environment must be suited to the work. Quietness, safety, and comfort are all important factors.
- Some personalities find it difficult to self-motivate.
- Many employees work longer hours when working from home.
- It will be difficult to get help from co-workers on troubleshooting issues.
- Being disciplined and being able to manage and structure your day is vital.
- Suited to excellent, proactive communicators.
- Suited to tech-savvy workers.
- Suited to people with previous experience in remote work.
The Office Supplies Specialist
If you enjoyed this confession, make sure you subscribe to the Confessions RSS feed!
You can also follow Confessions on Twitter.
You can also subscribe to the Weekly Confessions Digest.
- We now live in a world where the employers and employees can choose to be “Always on”.
- Smart devices enable us to check our emails while on the go. In fact, some holiday destinations are now advertising a lack of Wi-Fi signal as a selling point, in order to attract those that want to switch off entirely.
- Technology has also had a significant impact on where we work from, with many organisations now offering the opportunity to telecommute, or work from home.
- With many studies indicating increased productivity from employees, and increased savings for businesses, it is an attractive prospect for all involved.