Working at a Coffee Shop

Mel 2m 575

The views, opinions, and positions expressed by the author and those providing comments on this website are theirs alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or positions of Confessions of the Professions thereof. By reading the following article, you do not hold responsible Confessions of the Professions or any contributing authors for the content of this confession. Viewer Discretion is Advised.

Read This Confession To Me

Having to drag my butt out of bed at 5:30 in the morning was bad enough. But having to do it while being three months pregnant and on my birthday was even worse. The joys of working at a coffee shop that never closed, because those crazy caffeine addicts need their coffee at 2am.

I stood waiting outside in the chilly morning breeze and I couldn’t help but realize that the bus was late for the third time this week. And well, it was only Wednesday. The bus finally pulled up and I couldn’t help but smile because I was feeling a little chilly because I forgot a coat. I showed the bus driver my bus pass and looked around for a seat. Of course there was none, and being that I was not very pregnant and hardly showing, I really didn’t want to ask some random stranger for their seat. So, I stood the whole way there. A short while after the bus started to move, I realized I was not feeling any warmer on this bus. It didn’t take me long to figure out that the bus driver still thought it was summer and had the air conditioner on. I sucked it up in silence and got off the bus a few stops later.


I made it to work with a minute to spare. The day went by just as any other day, except for the lingering bitterness about being at work on my birthday. I couldn’t help but wonder why the government never accepted my request to make my birthday a national holiday. The smell of freshly brewed coffee still upset my stomach. Each time I put a new pot on I would take a few steps in the other direction trying to avoid the smells. But since the machine was right next to my little cash and I still had to serve all of the coffee-holics their drinks, I attempted to tolerate it for another day.

I looked at the clock and realized the end of my shift was near. I felt a bit more pleasant knowing I’d be waiting for the bus home soon enough. Each cup of coffee I poured was one step closer to freedom. I grabbed another paper cup and went to pour yet another coffee into it and missed. I spilled the hot coffee on my hand and down the front of my uniform. I quickly made the guy’s coffee and handed it to him. Then I went to find paper towels and attempted to clean the giant coffee stain off the front of my uniform. After washing the coffee off my hands with cold water to relieve the stinging I made my way back to the front. After a quick glance at the clock I realized I only had 5 minutes left.

The last few coffees left me cash and I quickly made my way to the back to punch out. I was in such a hurry to leave that I didn’t care about the giant stain on my shirt. The bus actually came on time and I was happy to be on my way home. There was a seat up at the front of the bus, so I was able to sit down for the first time that day.

And to think, I have to get up and do it all over again tomorrow. Happy Birthday to me.



2.076 seconds