MyPost: create beautiful simple web pages in minutes with just a few clicks!
The Daily Dot Store: the leading destination for stylish accessories, gadgets, everyday carry essentials & more!
Place a Text Link on this Confession ONLY
Read This Confession To Me
Adhesive Tapes for Packaging
Packaging is a skill and to learn this skill you need perfectionism, aptitude and information about various types of packaging accessories. Packaging tape is one of the most important accessories. Finding the correct tape for packaging is necessary for storing and shipping the products without any wear and tear.
Finding Packaging Tapes for Storing Boxes
If you are packaging items for storing, not for moving, then you need 30 micron (um) hand packaging tape with hot melt synthetic rubber resin adhesive. With such tapes on the boxes, it is advised that you must keep the packages or boxes in cool and dry places. Rubber resin adhesive is water resistant though it is always good to keep your boxes away from moist places. If you are using new cardboard boxes, then such tapes would do the job perfectly. But, what if you use old cardboard boxes?
Well, in that case, you have the option for choosing tapes. These two options are mentioned at the bottom:
- You can simply choose a hand packaging tape with a natural rubber adhesive. In marketplace, plenty of such products are available from different manufacturers. For example, you can choose Tesa 4263 Packaging Tape.
- If you are worried about moisture of the storing place, you can choose 28 micron (um) hand packaging tape with hot melt synthetic rubber adhesive. Such packaging tapes are also widely available in the marketplace. Example of such tape is 3M Scotch 370 Hot Melt Tape.
With this infographic, created by Globe Packaging, we are sharing important information about adhesive tape.
Click to open / Right-click for save options
Adhesive tape is one of many varieties backing materials coasted with an adhesive
Types of Adhesive Tapes
It’s typically made of slightly stretchy PVC vinyl, and is backed with a pressure sensitive rubber-type adhesive.
- It has good insulation properties
- It’s perfect for protecting wire splices and for providing extra insulation
- This tape is water resistant
- Available in different colors like Black, Red, Green, Yellow, and White for color coding
- Electrical tapes are not long lasting
Double-sided tape is a pressure sensitive tape which is coated with adhesive on both sides
- This is the tape with front-and-back sticking power
- Heavier-duty formulation of this tape is strong enough to hang lightweight items on walls
- Very adhesive
- Hard to remove
- UBH is a type of Double-sided tape for permanent bonding, after 72 hours it’s almost impossible to break the bond
It’s a composite make-up of woven cotton cloth that’s been backed with polyethylene and then coated with a high-tack adhesive
- These tapes when applied forms a waterproof seal
- You don’t need scissors to cut duct tape
- It holds things together
- Less versatile
- Duct tape has been used by NASA on several space missions, including Apollo 13 and Apollo 17
Heat Shrink Tape
Description: Heat shrink tape is an Eco-friendly heat melted adhesive lined polyolefin tape
- It’s often used to seal water and dust out of cables and cable splices
- Easy to install
- Difficult to remove
This tape is typically made up of a fiberglass mesh/aluminum foil composite and backed with a strong, durable adhesive
- Designed for high-heat environment like car engine bays and industrial facilities
- Self-adhering to the wall
- Good performance and alkali-resistant
- High tensile strength and resistance to deformation
Provide waterproof seals and electrical insulation in wrap-style applications on cables, hoses, and electrical components
- After a curing period (usually 24 hours), the silicone forms an unbreakable bond
- High flexibility
- High temperature resistance
Cloth tape is an adhesive tape made with a cloth backing or core.
- Cloth tapes are strong and offer good conformability
- The most popular colors for cloth tapes are black, silver, and white
- Low cost
- Not easy to tear
Pressure-sensitive tape made of a thing and easy-to-tear paper and an easily released pressure-sensitive adhesive
- It is used to mark off areas where body paint is not desired
- It’s rated by how many days it can be left up without leaving residue on the surface being masked
- Good for painting on canvas
- Leaves sticky, hard to clean residue
Surgical tape or medical tape is a type of pressure-sensitive adhesive tape. These tapes usually have a hypoallergenic adhesive
- These tapes allow air to reach the skin
- Available in paper, plastic, and cloth
- They are difficult to apply on irregular wounds, convex surfaces, or in areas of marked tissue laxity
A pressure-sensitive tape used for closing or sealing corrugated fiber-board boxes.
- The tape is 48 mm (approx. 2 inches) wide but it is also used in 72 mm (approx 3-inch) width
- Saves time compared to liquid adhesives
- Quickly deteriorates when exposed to UV light, cold, heat, and humidity
Brought to you by: