Turn Your Attic Into The Ultimate Mancave [Infographic]
Attic To Mancave Now!
Have you ever thought about converting your unused attic into a secret mancave? Yes, well we’re here to help! In this piece we’ll guide readers through everything you’re going to need in order to create the ultimate man cave!
We start with showing you some awesome technology to have in your mancave including things such as, an interactive pool table, virtual reality and the craziest gaming setup you’ll have ever seen!
Next we detail everything to make sure that your attic is actually suitable to convert into a mancave by breaking down everything you’re going to need to check before you start blowing holes in the roof to make room for that awesome fireman’s pole! This includes checking the headroom, going through the different types of roof structures and showing you different types of conversions so you can pick which one is right for you. Also not forgetting to talk about the dreaded “p” word, PRICE!
Finally, we’ll give you some examples of man caves that have already been created to give you some inspiration. You won’t believe how amazing they look!
So what are you waiting for? It’s time to create the ultimate man cave!
Click to open / Right-click for save options
How To Turn Your Attic Into The Ultimate Man Cave!
Have you been thinking about converting your unused attic into another bedroom?
Maybe you want to use it as a study or maybe it'll become your secret man-cave?
What You'll Need
If you want the ULTIMATE man cave, you're going to need the ultimate gear:
- Obscura Cuelight Interactive Pool Table £70,000
- Vesaro Racing Simulator Stage 9v £33,797
- Oculus Rift £549
- MWE Lab Emperor XT Motorised Ergonomic Gaming/Workstation Chai £5,180
Is Your Attic Suitable?
Before you start knocking beams down, blowing holes in the roof, and installing that sweet pool table, it's probably a good idea to check that your attic is suitable for conversion.
Things to Check:
- Head Height: Measure from the bottom of the ridge timber to the top of the ceiling joist. The usable part of the roof should be greater than 2.2m.
- Roof Angle: The higher the angle, the more head room you will have. If dormers are used or the roof is redesigned, then the floor area can be increased.
Types of Roof Structure:
There are two main types of basic pitched roof structures that are used for loft conversions:
- Roofs have rafters and ceiling joists, together with supporting timbers, cut to size on site and assembled. These roofs have more structural input, the space can be easily, and relatively more inexpensively, opened up by strengthening the rafters, and adding supports.
- TRADITIONAL CUT ROOF
- Lost floor space
- Roof line
- Lost interior walls and ceilings
- Post 1960s
- Roofs are factory made with thinner, cheaper timbers. These roofs have no loadbearing structures beneath, meaning opening up the space requires more structural input.
- TRUSS ROOF
- Ceiling joist
- Wall studs
- Reinforced floor/ceiling joists
- Storage floor
How Much Will My Conversion Cost?
THIS DEPENDS ON:
- Roof structure
- Existing available space
- Whether any alterations need to be made to the floor
Types of Conversion
Room in Roof Conversion
This is the cheapest option and starts at around £15,000
It will usually involve:
- Floor Reinforcement
- Fire Doors and Smoke Alarms
This can cost around: £20,000 - £50,000
Roof extension, apart from hip to gable ones, to be set back, as far as is practical, at least 2mts from eaves. The 2mts distance is measured along the roof plane.
Craziest Man Caves
Check out some of these crazy man caves for some inspiration!
For the ultimate sports night with the guys.
For those who want to play a round of golf in the comfort of their own home.
If you enjoyed this confession story, make sure you subscribe to the Confessions RSS feed!
You can also follow Confessions on Twitter.
You can also subscribe to the Weekly Confessions Digest.
- Have you ever thought about converting your unused attic into a secret mancave?
- Yes, well we’re here to help! In this piece we’ll guide readers through everything you’re going to need in order to create the ultimate man cave!
- We start with showing you some awesome technology to have in your mancave including things such as, an interactive pool table, virtual reality and the craziest gaming setup you’ll have ever seen!
- Next we detail everything to make sure that your attic is actually suitable to convert into a mancave by breaking down everything you’re going to need to check before you start blowing holes in the roof to make room for that awesome fireman’s pole!