What Tone Should An “About Me” Page Use? [Infographic]
Read This Confession To Me
Your About Me Page Is Important
As of 2013, it was estimated that approximately 128 million people in the US would be blog readers, with that number only rising in recent years. That certainly makes for a lot of readers.
As your About Me page is often one of the first places a potential reader will go on your blog, bloggers often wonder what kind of voice they should take on while writing their page. Of course they want to sound informed, intelligent, and trustworthy, but should they also be funny, witty, and easy to talk to?
In short, yes to all of the above. There is no set of rules that can be used when writing an About page, as much of it depends on the writer themselves and their own personality and writing style, but there are a few things you can keep in mind to make the writing process significantly easier:
- Keep it in first person.
- Be relatable.
- Be conversational.
- Stay true to yourself.
Click to open / Right-click for save options
CRAFTING A PERFECT 'ABOUT ME' PAGE
Your About Me Page is the soul of your website. Designing a great About Me page isn't hard, but there are some things you'll want to keep in mind to make it as effective as possible.
TONE & VOICING
Your page should have a welcoming tone that relates to your audience's needs, while also aligning with your personality.
HOW TO DO IT
- Write in the first person
- Keep it relatable
- Keep it conversational
Ask yourself... HOW DO YOU WANT PEOPLE TO FEEL?
Keep this feeling in mind as you craft your page.
HAVE AN OPENING STATEMENT
Hook your audience's interest by touching on a problem or emotion you know affects them.
"Are you ready to tackle depression once and for all?"
"Would you like to improve your public speaking in 1 week?"
"Do you want to cut fat while eating delicious foods?"
SHOW YOUR (REAL) PERSONALITY
Showing the 'real' you connects you with like-minded people. It also helps to carve out your niche and brand.
HOW TO DO IT
- Write less about your qualifications and more about your interests
- Be authentic, honest, and true to yourself
- Don't be afraid to be loud and bold. Dare to be different!
MAKE IT ABOUT THEM
Your About Me page is actually more about your reader than it is about you. Speak to your audience's needs and make them feel like they belong.
HOW TO DO IT
- Address a problem your audience has
- Share how you overcame that probelm
- Explain what's in it for htem
- Photos: include at least one headshot that shows the 'real you' or your lifestyle
- Email Opt-in: Put an email opt-in on your page & offer something for free in exchange for their email
- Social Media: Link to all other places so they can find you around the web
BROUGHT TO YOU BY Wise Startup Blog
If you enjoyed this confession, make sure you subscribe to the Confessions RSS feed!
You can also follow Confessions on Twitter.
You can also subscribe to the Weekly Confessions Digest.
- As your About Me page is often one of the first places a potential reader will go on your blog, bloggers often wonder what kind of voice they should take on while writing their page.
- There is no set of rules that can be used when writing an About page, as much of it depends on the writer themselves and their own personality and writing style, but there are a few things you can keep in mind to make the writing process significantly easier.
- Keep it in the first person. People are reading about you, not someone talking about you.
- Be someone that others can relate to by using humor or stories that have a message and can be easily understood.