Stress Free Move [Infographic]
Top Tips to Make Your Next Move Easy and Stress Free
Ever wondered why moving always finds a place in the list of top 5 causes of stress? Many reports indicate that moving, just like other major life events such as divorce, illness, or job loss, causes a lot of people to feel stressed and overwhelmed. Even if you plan to hire a mover to take care of the basic moving tasks like packing and transporting your belongings, you still have to go through the hassle of settling down in a new home, establishing a new routine, finding new friends, adjusting to a new work environment/school, and so on. And yes, that’s without considering the financial impact of moving to a new city. No wonder that many people with an upcoming move find themselves so worried about the entire process.
But here is some good news for you. Moving doesn’t always have to be troublesome or stressful. In fact, if you plan ahead and follow a few simple but essential tips and tricks, it can be downright easy and stress free. For example, if you give your movers a color-coded layout of your new home and ensure that your packing boxes are marked with matching labels, you don’t have to worry about straining your back lugging the heavy boxes to the right rooms later.
If you want to make sure that your precious wedding china and expensive photo frames do not get damaged during moving, take care to buy the right boxes for your needs and ensure that they are clearly marked “fragile” and “this side up”. Also ensure that each item is wrapped individually for maximum protection.
If you are interested in more such useful moving precautions, facts, and tips, don’t forget to check out the below infographic from Solent Plastics!
Click to open / Right-click for save options
THE HASSLES OF CHANGING HOMES
A quarter of people in the UK hope to move into a new property, either renting or buying this year despite the fact that house prices are rising, new research shows.
This number increases 46.6% in the 18 to 24 year old age group, confirming that the number of first time buyers is rising.
There were 99,390 residential property transactions in England in December 2015, which is 9.6% higher than one year earlier.
Reasons for changing homes
Access to shops and amenities 35%
Being close to family/friends 32%
Reducing running costs 31%
Need for bigger home 30%
Things that are damaged during a Move
- Sporting equipment
How To Save Those Valuables
Moving your belongings can be quite a hassle unless you are careful enough to take the necessary precautions.
Here are some of the precautions you need to take while you are at it.
For Glassware/Photos in Glass Frame:
- Get the right box for the job (not very large and not more than around 4 kg).
- Wrap individual items separately for protection.
- Clearly label any boxes that contain glassware as 'fragile' and 'this way up'.
For Art Pieces:
- Use custom containers and materials, including travelling frames and slat crates.
- All art should be marked 'fragile', and adding 'art' will make it very clear to the handler they have to travel with care.
- Use a trolley or specialized equipment wherever possible.
- Dismantle large objects and carry them out piece by piece.
- Wrap with lots of padding – old clothes can work well as one layer of cushioning, but there's little better than bubble wrap secured with packing tape.
- Make sure your wrapping is relatively simple to undo to avoid damaging the item at the other end of the journey when it's unpacked.
For Sporting Equipment:
- Check the manuals for over-sized or extra-sensitive equipment to see if there are special considerations or precautions you need to take when moving it.
- If you have any vulnerable sports gear needing to be moved, whether it's golf clubs, tennis racquets, or your bike, take extra care with how you pack them.
- Make sure to pack them in boxes with holes to breathe.
- Utilize ties or bags to separate plants from one another and protect loose branches that might be broken.
The research from Ocean Finance also shows that in the 25 to 34 year old age group 37.9% plan to get a new place in the next 12 months. But only 13.1% of those aged 55 and over are planning a move this year.
UK Residential Property
Transaction Count 2015 - 2016
Monthly *Seasonaly Adjusted
Some Quick Facts
- The average Briton will move house 8 times in their life
- Britons move on average twice before they are 18.
- Britons live in 3 different houses in their 20's.
- 29% men and 19% women aged 20-34 lived with their parents.
Cost of Moving
The price of moving house in the UK rose by £431 last year, bringing the average total figure to £8,698 in 2014 up from £8,258 in 2013 and £7,552 in 2004, research by Lloyds has found.
Estimate Home Moving Costs
Stamp duty- £1,973
Estate Agency- £3,867
Home Removal- £1,110
Total Cost of moving home- £8,689
Quick Check List for Moving Homes
- Remember to inform your banks, credit store cards, pension and share providers, insurance companies, loan providers, council tax, employers, schools, cable provider, and your doctor.
- Switching off your phone line, internet connection, and all your utilities, as well as arranging them to be connected at the other end.
- Declutter one room at a time, including all cupboards, cabinets, and drawers.
- If you're using a removal firm, make sure they have the color-coded layout of your new home.
If you enjoyed this confession, make sure you subscribe to the Confessions RSS feed!
You can also follow Confessions on Twitter.
You can also subscribe to the Weekly Confessions Digest.
- Many reports indicate that moving, just like other major life events such as divorce, illness, or job loss, causes a lot of people to feel stressed and overwhelmed.
- Even if you plan to hire a mover to take care of the basic moving tasks like packing and transporting your belongings, you still have to go through the hassle of settling down in a new home, establishing a new routine, finding new friends, adjusting to a new work environment/school, and so on.
- If you plan ahead and follow a few simple but essential tips and tricks, it can be downright easy and stress free.
- If you want to make sure that your precious wedding china and expensive photo frames do not get damaged during moving, take care to buy the right boxes for your needs and ensure that they are clearly marked “fragile” and “this side up”.