Moving House Checklist [Infographic]
Be Prepared for Moving With This Checklist
Moving home can be a discouraging and labour intensive task if you are disorganised. This infographic offers a checklist to work through, helping to ensure that you don't forget even the smallest of details. By taking a systematic approach the daunting task of moving will seem so much easier and far less stressful.
The infographic begins 8 weeks before your move date, suggesting that you start by de-cluttering and cleaning. The former will help reduce the amount of time spent on the latter. We've also suggested in week 7 gathering boxes and bubble wrap in earnest – you'll be surprised how much you'll need if you want your belongings to arrive at your new premises intact.
Six weeks before your move you'll need to put in place the important issues concerning having utility meters read and informing everyone the change of address. By week 4 you should be devouring the food in your freezer and have begun to start packing clothing you rarely wear.
By following our infographic checklist, as your move date gets closer you'll find that you're so well organised you'll wonder what all the fuss about moving home is about. However, without the check-list you'll undoubtedly end-up a frazzled wreck and still be packing until the eleventh hour.
Get organised, work your way through the infographic checklist methodically, it will be worth it when the big day arrives.
Click to open / Right-click for save options
Text Friendly Version
MOVING HOUSE CHECKLIST
- Declutter & clean
- Take inventory
- Research and decide on the best removal company to use
- Make a file for all moving papers and receipts
- Get a floor plan on your new residence
- Find out if you need additional insurance for your move
- Obtain necessary packing supplies:
- Bubble wrap
- Permanent box marker
- Box sealing tape - clear
- Notify landline telephone companies, internet service providers and utilities
- Make a list of people you need to notify of your change of address
- Send out change of address cards to friends and relatives
- Notify the electoral registration office of your changes to address
- Book carpet fitters if required
- Start eating the food in your freezer
- Start packing non-essential items and clothing
- Collect records - medical, school, vet, etc.
- Place them in one file
- Safely dispose of all materials and liquids that require specialist treatment e.g. paints
- Cancel local deliveries and inform them of your moving date - newspapers, gardeners, cleaner, milk
- Place important (non-move related) documents in one sturdy box
- Get everything you can boxed up and ready to go
- Label and colour coordinate boxes for easy identification
- Defrost fridge and freezer, prepare washing machine for moving
- Wash and dry remaining linen and clothing and box up
- Set up a postal redirection service
THE DAY BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Disconnect power and water
- Prepare a MOVING DAY SURVIVAL KIT
- Do a thorough, final sweep
MOVING DAY SURVIVAL KIT
- Toiletries & toilet paper
- Phone and phone chargers
- Change of clothes
- Soft drinks & snacks
- Paper plates and plastic utensils
- Pencil and paper
- Local takeaway contact details
- Masking tape or PVC tape
- Bin liners
- Headache pills
THREE APPS THAT HELP YOU MOVE HOUSE
The Dulux Visualizer App
Pick any Dulux colour from anywhere and see how it works in your rooms.
Easily identify the contents of every box you pack when moving house, using house movers, relocating, or putting items into storage
Home Move Pro
Comes with easily organised checklists to help you on every stage of your move.
transform your home for less™
If you enjoyed this confession, make sure you subscribe to the Confessions RSS feed!
You can also follow Confessions on Twitter.
You can also subscribe to the Weekly Confessions Digest.
- Moving home can be a discouraging and labour intensive task if you are disorganised.
- This infographic offers a checklist to work through, helping to ensure that you don't forget even the smallest of details.
- Start with cleaning and de-cluttering your home, eliminating anything that will not be going with you in your moving process.
- By following our infographic checklist, as your move date gets closer you'll find that you're so well organised you'll wonder what all the fuss about moving home is about.