Weddings in India [Infographic]
How Much Does An Indian Wedding Cost?
Marriage shopping trends in India are wide and vast. Yes, this is one platform that extracts high revenues. Weddings are extravagant in India and depict the status of parents in the society. The more they spend, the more is their wealth.
However, with a huge sum of money spend on marriages; parents invest almost 1/5 of their life income in weddings. The main and major expenses are in the sector of clothing. A girl look like a diva in those expensive outfits and the man depicts everything of a king. Yes, apparel industry loathes a sound income in the wedding season.
From relatives of the bride and grooms, clothing industry call for a big splurge. Today, even after the fast growth of e-commerce sector in the country, people are still backing the conventional laid-back sari shops. Why it is still the scenario? Check out the infographic below to know the trends.
Click to open / Right-click for save options
Get Amazed To Know How Much An Indian Wedding Spends On Only Clothes?
Wedding in India is no less than an extravaganza. After all, this is how it should be as wedding is for life and a one-time affair. But yes, it sincerely bore a big wide hole in the pocket of hard earners (parents of course) and it doesn't matter whether they are able to afford it or not. They have to make it big anyway to save their place in the social card. And if they managed to make it as one big fat Indian wedding, they get a notch in uplifting their upcoming life in the society.
Budgeting for a Wedding
Ideally, parents bear the budget of the wedding, but as the homegrown generation is heading high with the responsibilities; they are also managing to share their part in the wedding.
The Indian wedding industry is over Rs 100,000 crore and is growing at 25 to 30 percent annually. The estimated cost of a wedding with no expenses spared could be between Rs 5 lakh to Rs 5 crore, in India.
Wedding Shopping Trend
Wedding Shopping is extravagant in India, where clothes shopping sets high priority.
- Shop for bride, groom, in laws, relatives, and the entire baraatis.
- Shop for bridal wedding trousseau
- Shop for gold and ornaments
A person, in India, spends one fifth of the wealth accumulated in a lifetime on a wedding ceremony.
Normal Expenditure on Clothes
Above all that wedding couture calls for a high splurge. Approximately 20% of the wedding budget is strictly spent on clothes in an Indian wedding.
Apparel market (wedding) worth: Rs 10,000 crore
Bridal Designer Saree/Lehenga cost: Between Rs 10,000 to 50,000
Designer Shervani cost: Rs 15,000 to Rs 40,000
Relative's clothes: 1 lakh to 2 lahk (average)
Bridal Trousseau: 7, 15, to 21 sarees or suits cost between 40,000 to 1 lakh
Around 5 lakhs spent on clothes
The Buying Culture
Online wedding shopping in India is still very much in its nascent form and buyers are still opting for their trusted shops from the mainstream wedding market.
- Couples are still buying for their big day with their families from the offline market.
- The never ending wish list of relatives, especially for clothes takes the reference from the mainstream ethnic market.
- Clothes by these top fashion designers are now available at affordable prices and the range hovers just anywhere between Rs 3,500 (44 dollars) – Rs 15,000 (over 200 dollars) from online stores.
Indian Wedding Scenario
- Indians shop from famous wedding markets of Delhi, Kolkata, Jaipur.
- Online presence is still nascent.
- Shopping for guests and relatives is still high.
- Opulent and expensive.
- Indian designers' almost 80 percent business is driven by the bridal culture.
Global Wedding Scenario
- They shop from dealers and online shops.
- Wide online shopping presence.
- Importance is given for making it budgeted and simple.
- Inexpensive and small.
- Global marketers fashion their annual chain for gaining profits unlike wedding couture.
The Indian market spends high on wedding shopping but is still struggling to drape some high fashion labels and stupendous outfits from online shopping. The consumers are still spending lucratively in retail stores rather than beautiful and affordable outfits from the online market. This may certainly help in shaping the wedding budget.
Like a Diva
If you enjoyed this confession story, make sure you subscribe to the Confessions RSS feed!
You can also follow Confessions on Twitter.
You can also subscribe to the Weekly Confessions Digest.
- Marriage shopping trends in India are wide and vast.
- Yes, this is one platform that extracts high revenues.
- Weddings are extravagant in India and depict the status of parents in the society.
- The more they spend, the more is their wealth.
- However, with a huge sum of money spend on marriages; parents invest almost 1/5 of their life income in weddings.