The Impact of Packaging [Infographic]
Read This Confession To Me
The Importance of Attractive Packaging for your Business
Packaging is very important and it could mean that everyone buys your product, simply because they liked the color, size, or letters, or no one buys your package, and ignores it completely because it does not stand out. Your company may be selling the best product in the world, but if the package is unattractive, your product will sit on the shelf and eventually be returned back to your factory, causing a great loss for your business.
With marketing and social media advertising, a product will definitely have a lot of advantages to sell, but a memorable user-friendly package can do a lot for a product. Many companies overlook the importance of packaging, focusing only on the product, but not including high-definition images and instructions on the box, and many potential buyers may not understand what the product is, and move on to buy the competitors' products, all because the packaging was not attractive or eye-catching.
There are companies who focus on packaging and attract loyal customers because of brand loyalty. If your product happens to be a few extra dollars more than your competitors' product, but the packaging is attractive, your loyal customer will opt to buy your product.
Any business, small or large, needs to reach out to its customers with unique and captivating strategies in order to build a huge consumer base and this is where product packaging stands very important. For small business owners competing with big players, investing in packaging and good labeling can also be a good marketing initiative in business branding. Packaging influences product satisfaction, impacts shopping behaviour, and motivates consumers in global markets and therefore quality packaging technique is essential for a product to perform well in the market and hence benefit the business.
My name is John McCabe and I am the Marketing Manager of MS Packaging, a packaging solution provider across UK. I have created this infographic which revolves around the impact of packaging on products and consumers.
Click to open / Right-click for save options
The Impact of Packaging
Packaging is a very important area to focus if you need to attract consumers towards your product. Here is a global consumer study which reveals many interesting facts related to packaging.
Packaging matters because
- Influences Product Satisfaction
- Impacts Shopping Behaviour
- Motivates Consumers in Global Markets
Impact on Product Satisfaction
✓ Only 11% of global consumers are completely satisfied with packaging today.
✓ "When it comes to overall product satisfaction, packaging is almost important as brand" - Consumers
Some packaging attributes to customers
- Protecting the product from spilling 80%
- Made from environment-friendly materials 45%
- Making the product easy to get out 78%
- Easy to open 71%
Impact on Shopping Behaviour
Impact on Stores
- 64% Tried a product because the package caught their eye
- 41% Purchased a product because of the packaging
- 36% Switched brands because of negative experience with new packaging
Impact on the Online World
Because of packaging
- 29% Researched more information about a product
- 20% Friended or became a fan of the brand/company on social networks
- 22% Wrote an online review that mentions packaging
- 18% Posted something about a product on social media
Impact on global customers
Percentage of people from different countries who say packaging is important to their overall product satisfaction
South Africa 43%
Countries which express the highest satisfaction with product packaging - India and South Africa - 59%, Average: 50%
Countries where consumers believe that packaging is important than brand for overall product satisfaction - Brazil, Turkey, Germany, and Russia
Countries which record the lowest satisfaction rating with product packaging - Japan - 25%, Average: 50%
If you enjoyed this confession, make sure you subscribe to the Confessions RSS feed!
You can also follow Confessions on Twitter.
You can also subscribe to the Weekly Confessions Digest.
- Packaging is very important and it could mean that everyone buys your product, simply because they liked the color, size, or letters, or no one buys your package, and ignores it completely because it does not stand out.
- Your company may be selling the best product in the world, but if the package is unattractive, your product will sit on the shelf and eventually be returned back to your factory, causing a great loss for your business.
- With marketing and social media advertising, a product will definitely have a lot of advantages to sell, but a memorable user-friendly package can do a lot for a product.