Become A Physiotherapist
Physiotherapy: Physical Therapy
Physiotherapy is a medical profession wherein you will require to improve mobility and function of patients who have suffered from sports or any kind of physical injuries, aging issues or someone who had a stroke recently. Oftentimes, people find it extremely difficult to maintain or continue certain amount of movements after they suffered a major health issues primarily from injuries or stroke or simply aging movement problems. It is here where a physiotherapist comes in the picture, he/she would utilize all her knowledge and expertise to help the patients restore their health by beginning to include exercise sessions. A person with physical therapy degree can identify and maximize a person’s potential to move around however injured or weak they are, so that the patients can recover from injuries and improve their quality of lives.
If you are serious about entering into the profession of physical therapy, there are few things you should know.
Job Role of a Physiotherapist
Physical Therapy is one of the trending medical professions where you may end up working with famous athletes around the world who had suffered from sports injuries, old people with age related problems and stroke related mobility issues. Other than a certified degree, you would also require interpersonal skills, ability to care, and help people restore from injuries and mobility challenges. You will also require to promote their health and wellbeing by helping them restore their normal lives after injuries and strokes. In addition, the following responsibilities are attached to the role of a physiotherapist:
- Develop and review treatment programs and ensure patients do regular exercises
- Schedule exercise sessions for the patients
- Encourage your patients to do different exercises by using various techniques
- Keep yourself updated with new techniques and technologies to treat patients
- Teach caretakers how to take care of the patients and improve their conditions
- Keep other health care professionals about the developments and if necessary refer the patients to other healthcare pros.
- You should be naturally compassionate and helping by nature
- You will be accountable for the patients
Physiotherapy Entrance Exam and Eligibility
- Aspirant candidate should be an Indian citizen
- Should have completed the 12th Standard with PCB (Physics, Chemistry and Biology) and English
- Should obtain at least 50% in all subjects
- Should have reached 17 years
- A minimum of 50% must be secured in all the subjects
- Applicants should be at least 17 years old
- Candidate must pass physiotherapy entrance test e.g. AIPTET (All India Physiotherapy Entrance Test) and CET (Common Entrance Test) and more
- Students should clear the CET (entrance test), and then can study Bachelor of Physiotherapy (B.P.T) program
Physiotherapy Courses in India
Students who are looking to study a degree or diploma course for 2 to 4 years and short-term physiotherapy courses, which can be taken up once 12th standard final exam is completed. A candidate should have done their 12th Standard in Science stream with English. The short-term courses are available 3 -12 months, a diploma course would last up to 2 years and a degree in physiotherapy would take up to 4.5 years. Once B.P.T program is completed, a student can take up a master degree in physiotherapy for 2 years. After the successful completion of all the programs whether you have completed a bachelor or master’s degree, you should ensure to do an internship or work as an assistant at a hospital or health care centers.
Physiotherapy Colleges in Different Regions of India
Given below are the Physiotherapy colleges in various regions in India.
Physiotherapy Colleges in Western India
- School of Physiotherapy, Orthopedic Center, KEM Hospital, Mumbai
- Physical Therapy Teaching & Treatment Center, LTMG Hospital, Sion, Mumbai
- School of Physiotherapy, SSG Hospital, Vadodara, Gujarat
- School of Physiotherapy, Paraplegia Hospital, New Civil Hospital, Ahmedabad,
- Physiotherapy School & Center, Govt. Medical College & Hospital, Nagpur
- Shre B.G.D.Patel College of Physiotherapy, Anand Urban Education Trust, Gujarat
- College of Physiotherapy, Chaitanya Medical Foundation, Pune
- Padmashree College of Physiotherapy, Ahmednagar
- Sancheti College of Physiotherapy, 16, Shivaji Nagar, Pune
- Ravi Nair College of Physiotherapy, Wardha
- Sarvajanik College of Physiotherapy, U.G. & P.G. Lokahat Mullah Hospital, Surat
- Shree Ghantakaran Mahavir Physiotherapy College, Godhra
- M.Patel Institute of Physiotherapy, Shree Krishna Hospital, Gokul Nagar, Karamsad
- SKK College of Physiotherapy, Prakash Society main Road, Rajkot
- Ulhas Patil College of Physiotherapy, Jalgaon
- Shree Sahajanand Institute of Physiotherapy, Bhavnagar. Gujarat
- G. Physiotherapy College. Sitapura-Tonk Road. Jaipur
Physiotherapy Colleges in Eastern India
- School of Physiotherapy, N.I.O.H. Bonhoogly, B.T. Road. Kolkata
- School of Physiotherapy, N.I.T.A.R., P.O.: Olatpur, Cuttack, Odisha
- School of Physical Medicine, Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education & Research, A.J.C. Bose. Rd. Kolkata
- Bihar College of Physiotherapy, Patna Medical College Campus, Viklang Bhavan, Kankarbagh, Patna
- Burdwan Institute of Medical & life Sciences, Burdwan University Campus, P.O. Burdwan. West Bengal
- College of Physiotherapy, Vivekanada Institute of Medical Science, 99 Sarat Bose Rd. Kolkata
- Sikkim Manipal College of Physiotherapy, S.M.I.M.S. Campus, 5th Mile, Todong, Gangtok, East Sikkim
- College of Physiotherapy & Medical Sciences, Bamunimaidan, Guwahati, Assam
- Down town College of Physiotherapy & Medical Science, Guwahati, Assam
- Tripura Institute of Paramedical Science, Agartala, Tripura
- Institute of Physiotherapy, Bodhgaya, (Magadh University)
- Indian Institute of Health Sciences, Health Institute Rd. Beur, Patna
Physiotherapy Colleges in Southern India
- of Physiotherapy, Bangalore Medical College, Bangalore
- College of Physiotherapy, Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu
- School of Physiotherapy, Govt. General Hospital, Chennai
- School of Physiotherapy, C M C, Vellore
- Department of Physiotherapy, SME, Regional Centre, Ernakulam, Thevara, Kochi
- Department of Physiotherapy, SME, Regional Centre, Angamaly Municipal Buildings, Angamaly, Ernakulam
- Department of Physiotherapy, School of Medical Education, Kottayam, Kerala
- ALVA's College of Physiotherapy, Alva's Health Centre Complex, Bangalore
- Acharya College of Physiotherapy, R.T.Nagar, Bangalore
- of Physiotherapy, MS Ramiah Medical College, Bangalore
- Florence College of Physiotherapy, Kalayana Nagar, HRBR Ring Rd. Bangalore
- Dayananda Sagar College of Physiotherapy, Kumarswami Layout, Bangalore
- of Physiotherapy, Manipal College of Allied Health Science, KMC. Manipal
- Institute of Health Sciences, M.V.Shetty College, Vidyanagar, Mangalore
- Srinivasan College of Physiotherapy, G H S Rd. Mangalore
- Vikas College of Physiotherapy, Urwa, Mangalore
- KLE Institute of Physiotherapy, JNMC Campus, Belgaum
- Navodaya College of Physiotherapy, 26, Saath Kachheri Rd. Raichur
- Apollo College of Physiotherapy, Apollo Hospital Campus, Jubillee Hills, Hyderabad
- College of Physiotherapy, S.V. Institute of Medical Sciences, Tirupati
- College of Physiotherapy, Durgabai Deshmukh Hospital & Research Centre, Hyderabad
- Kakatiya College of Physiotherapy, Hunter Rd. Warangal
- R. R. M. college of Physiotherapy, Cuddapah
- SIMS College of Physiotherapy, Guntur
- Swatantra Institute of Physiotherapy, Kambala Park, Rajmundry
- Venkat Padmavati College of Physiotherapy, Chandragiri, Chittor
- Visakha College of Physiotherapy, MVP College, Visakhapatnam
- R. E.T. College of Physiotherapy, Vizianagaram
Physiotherapy Colleges in Northern India
- College of Physiotherapy, P.G.I. Chandigarh
- of Physiotherapy, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar
- of Physiotherapy, Punjabi University, Patiala
- of Physiotherapy, Delhi Institute of Rural Development, Delhi
- of Physiotherapy, Guru Jambheshwar University. Hisar, Haryana
- Adhesh College of Physiotherapy, Adesh Inst. of Medical Sciences, Muktasar
- Adhunik Institute of Education & Research, 6th Mile Stone, Gaziabad
- Amar Jyothi College of Physiotherapy, Vikash Marg, Delhi
- Ayushman College of Physiotherapy, C Sector, Shahpura, Bhopal
- College of Allied Education Health Sciences, Gongotri Colony, Roorkee Rd. Meerut
- Gaur Brahman Ayurvedic and Physiotherapy College, Dist: Rohtak, Haryana
- Rajiv Gandhi College of Physiotherapy, E-8 Trilanga Colony, Bhopal
- Institute of Biomedical Sciences & Research, Balawala, Dehradun
- Jammu College of Physiotherapy, Bantalab Rd. Jammu
- of Health Sciences, Faridabad Institute of Technology, Sector-43, Aravali Hills, Faridabad
- AMITY Physiotherapy College, Okhla Centre, New Delhi
- I.M.R. College of Physiotherapy Gwalior
- College of Physiotherapy, LOVELY University, Jalandhar City, Punjab
- Department of Physiotherapy, Bundelkhand University. Jhansi
Physiotherapist Career Opportunities
Getting into a physiotherapy job is pretty easy these days as there are huge opportunities in the field. Whether it’s a regular worker who sits for longer hours and develop pain or an ageing person, or an athletes who had an injury, needs a physiotherapist to support and help them restore their lost normal mobility and function. As you gain more experience and move into senior roles, you can specialize in any of the following:
Once you are an experienced, you can end up opening your own clinic. You can also train junior physiotherapists and help them understand the critical aspects of the profession.
When it comes to financial reward, a physiotherapist have great growth potential in India. There is huge demand for physiotherapists in India, the demands for such paramedical professionals are not just limited to people with injuries, ageing population and cardiovascular patients, but extended to different groups of people. With 1 or 2 years of experience, a physiotherapist can earn up to INR 30,000 and with more expertise and experience the earnings can go up to INR 12,00,000 or above a year. There is also great opportunity to earn as an individual physiotherapist and clinic owner.
Looking for physical therapy classes? Wait no more and post your requirements on UrbanPro.
About the Author
This article content has been provided by UrbanPro.com, a stellar marketplace where you can find a large number of qualified professionals for Educational programs, Fitness programs, Dance, Music, Event services or Photographers etc.
If you enjoyed this confession, make sure you subscribe to the Confessions RSS feed!
You can also follow Confessions on Twitter.
You can also subscribe to the Weekly Confessions Digest.
- Physiotherapy is a medical profession wherein you will require to improve mobility and function of patients who have suffered from sports or any kind of physical injuries, aging issues or someone who had a stroke recently.
- Oftentimes, people find it extremely difficult to maintain or continue certain amount of movements after they suffered a major health issues primarily from injuries or stroke or simply aging movement problems.
- A person with physical therapy degree can identify and maximize a person’s potential to move around however injured or weak they are, so that the patients can recover from injuries and improve their quality of lives.